We made cream sauce without any cream! That’s right, cashews that have been soaked until ultra soft and blended with coconut milk, lemon, nutritional yeast, garlic and spices makes for a mouthwatering vegan cream sauce you and your family are sure to love!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 box Solely Spaghetti Squash, cooked & drained
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in 2 cups of water for 4 hours or overnight
- 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled & minced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings
- Black pepper & fresh thyme sprigs (to use as garnishes)
- Fill a medium pot about two-thirds full with water and bring to a boil. When boiling, add the Solely Spaghetti Squash and boil until soft, 4-6 minutes.
- Strain squash in a colander and set aside.
- Add the soaked and drained cashews, coconut milk, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic, sea salt, black pepper, dried Italian seasonings, and nutritional yeast to a blend and blend on high speed until it is very creamy. There should be no cashew chunks in the sauce. Pour the sauce into a mixing bowl.
- Add the cooked Solely Whole Organic Spaghetti Squash to the sauce and stir to combine so that all of the squash is coated in the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (176 C).
- Pour into an oven-safe baking dish and bake in the oven until everything is heated through and the sauce is bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving with additional black pepper and fresh thyme sprigs.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Notes about the recipe: This vegan dish can have its protein boosted by adding a cup of chickpeas or if you prefer animal protein, a side of grilled chicken or pork.
Credit: Recipe prepared by Sarah Steffans